Finding the right balance that works and best fits you is the secret behind staying well, although there are some general principles that one can follow to manage their stress and anxiety levels.
These mainly include avoiding alcohol and drugs, maintaining a healthy lifestyle, and also taking the help of a professional if and when you start experiencing symptoms of depression, anxiety, and suicide. It is also important to deal with tough situations when they arise and keep going.
Family and friends can also play a huge part as they can provide practical and emotional support or just be there to listen to your problems.
Stress is a common response to tough and difficult situations and it is quite normal to have such a feeling. Also, stress itself is not anxiety or depression.
The following are some ways of reducing stress levels:
- Delay major life changes: Making major changes in your life can be stressful, and if you are already under stress it is recommended to postpone any such changes.
- Solve personal conflicts: Stress in personal relationships can lead to severe cases of anxiety and you should always find ways to resolve your issues.
- Do what you enjoy: Take the mind of your work and serious things and focus on things that you enjoy doing.
- Healthy work-life balance: Work plays an important role in our lives; however, it is important to find the right balance between your work and personal life.
- Exercise daily: Physical exercise or team sports can be a great way to reduce stress, as it relieves tension and relaxes your mind. Team sports also allow you to connect and socialize with others. It is recommended to at least go for a regular walk to maintain a healthy lifestyle.
- Get support: Talking to someone about your problems is another way to alleviate your problems. However, if feel like having severe symptoms of anxiety and stress, feel free to take the assistance of a professional.
- Stay away from drug and alcohol: When under stress and anxiety it can be quite tempting to use drugs or consume alcohol. However, these substances change the way your brain works and can even increase your anxiety levels. Moreover, these substances can also lead to symptoms of depression and anxiety.
- Don’t forget to relax: Practicing breathing and muscle relaxation techniques daily is a great you to self-treat anxiety. These are some of the best ways to unwind as well and can also be used as short-term coping methods.